NightOwl Forums
Jack Sparrow Howard S Life Size Bust That I Painted Up - Printable Version

+- NightOwl Forums (https://forums.nightowlpro.com)
+-- Forum: The Crypt (https://forums.nightowlpro.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://forums.nightowlpro.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Jack Sparrow Howard S Life Size Bust That I Painted Up (/showthread.php?tid=37500)

Jack Sparrow Howard S Life Size Bust That I Painted Up - monteburns - 05-13-2011

I recently painted up my Howard S Jack Sparrow lifesize bust.
I had the blank bust since 2009 & finally got the courage to finish it.

It was by far the most difficult bust that I have ever painted/haired. :whistling:

I used many air brush/dry brush/wash techniques to get realistic skin tones.
I hand laid the hair on the face & modified a wig for his head.

I added the beads/coins which I know are not 100% accurate but I am happy with them.
I plan on adding a custom base with accurate clothes/belts in the future.

[Image: Picture456.jpg]
[Image: Picture457.jpg]
[Image: Picture448.jpg]
[Image: Picture484.jpg]

Before pic.
[Image: Picture743.jpg]

Jack Sparrow Howard S Life Size Bust That I Painted Up - stainboy - 05-14-2011

That's pretty good! I always have it in the back of my mind that I could paint one of those Howard busts, but when I see your before and after pics, I realize the size of the transformation.

Perhaps, I'm outta my league!

Jack Sparrow Howard S Life Size Bust That I Painted Up - monteburns - 05-14-2011

When I originally got the blank everyone who seen it did not have a clue who it was.
I could not even begin to count the hours that I put into this project.

You actually had to hollow out the mouth from behind to get the teeth to fit similar to the way prop eyes are installed.

My transiton from painting lifesize pieces came originally from painting model cars & Horizon/Screamin statues.
Doing these types of kits on a smaller scale is a great platform to move up to lifesize pieces & the more you do the easier it becomes. :thumbsup:

Jack Sparrow Howard S Life Size Bust That I Painted Up - Mutilated - 05-14-2011

Your hard work paid off, you knocked it out of the park looks great.

Jack Sparrow Howard S Life Size Bust That I Painted Up - kaizu13 - 05-14-2011

Nice work :thumbsup:
Must've been tough getting the hair and all the other props to match Cool

Jack Sparrow Howard S Life Size Bust That I Painted Up - JOEY - 05-14-2011

(05-14-2011, 05:44 AM)Buffalo Bill link Wrote: Your hard work paid off, you knocked it out of the park looks great.

Yeah I agree....
This is impressive work you did on him. Great job!

Jack Sparrow Howard S Life Size Bust That I Painted Up - monteburns - 05-15-2011

The hairwork is the make it or break it part of this project.

I hand laid the hair on the eyebrows & beard & mustache which makes it look much more natural.
Getting all the hair to match with the wig/dreads is tricky.

Glueing hair on resin is an absolute pain but I am getting faster with each project that I complete.
It is also smart to watch your barber when he cuts hair & you will learn his tecniques. :thumbsup:

Jack Sparrow Howard S Life Size Bust That I Painted Up - monteburns - 05-17-2011

I took some pics in a little better lighting & added them to my first post.

The first set of pics I originally took were on a cloudy day & it drowned out the colors of the paint up.

Jack Sparrow Howard S Life Size Bust That I Painted Up - Chainsaw - 05-17-2011

The new pics definitely show off the skin tone better. Another nice job man. You're getting great at painting these busts :thumbsup: