NightOwl Forums
My Black H3 Skull Project - Check It Out - Printable Version

+- NightOwl Forums (https://forums.nightowlpro.com)
+-- Forum: The Crypt (https://forums.nightowlpro.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://forums.nightowlpro.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: My Black H3 Skull Project - Check It Out (/showthread.php?tid=38180)

Pages: 1 2

My Black H3 Skull Project - Check It Out - rudymunis - 09-13-2011

This thread started as a paint stripping question- but here\'s what I did with the mask...

I always loved the fresh black vinyl skulls in the factory scene in Halloween III, and after buying a crappy re-painted skull from my friend, I decided to make a black one out of it.. (not the hardest paint job in the world, but I wanted it to look correct)

[Image: IMG_8274.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8271.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8273.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8272.jpg]

Earlier this morning I was asking what to use to do this with, then I remembered I had some stripper for removing paint for plastic models. I am in the process of restoring old Aurora monster models, and the stuff worked great on them so I tried it on my mask.. since vinyl is a type of plastic made from ethylene, I figured what the heck... I started with a small area on the back of this already painted Don Post skull (didn\'t the old thick glow paint someone put on it)

You soak the piece in the solution for about ten minutes, then use a medium bristle tooth brush to get it off.. it\'s always worked good and fast on models, and it did the same thing for the mask.. the vinyl was unharmed, and perfectly normal once I dried it off. I want to give it a good once over to remove whatever is left, but you can see in the pics that this stuff worked great.

[Image: IMG_8257.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8258.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8261.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8262.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8263.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8266.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8267.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8268.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8269.jpg]
Here\'s the first coats of flat black-
[Image: IMG_8289.jpg]

I am no mask maker, but I am an artist and have painted a zillion things, mainly punk rock leather jackets.. I always use acrylics and they flex nice with no cracking. I had no idea if it would work on vinyl or what is the right things to use, but I did it anyway.. hey, I can always strip it off again.

I started airbrushing flat black in light coats, then did a light once over with a dusting of regular black. The results were awesome! The skull looks pretty mean in black.. I\'m glad I did it. The finish looks just like the black areas on my white H3 skulls. Oh, and now my friend wants it back! (sorry Poopsko - buy another tattered one and I will paint it up)

[Image: blackskull2.jpg]

[Image: blackskull3.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8321.jpg]
[Image: blackskull9.jpg]
[Image: blackskull8.jpg]
[Image: blackskull7.jpg]
[Image: blackskull6.jpg]

Here is the stuff- you can get it at most hobby shops

[Image: IMG_8280.jpg]

My Black H3 Skull Project - Check It Out - nsmpls - 09-14-2011

Nice!
Like the progress pics
Does look good as an all black mask
Cant really think of any mask that look good all black but nice choice

My Black H3 Skull Project - Check It Out - rudymunis - 09-14-2011

thanks ! It\'s way cooler in person.. obviously I could repaint it white, but it\'s so cool black now. It\'s staying black

My Black H3 Skull Project - Check It Out - The Boogeyman 1978 - 09-14-2011

That really looks cool. Nice job on the paint up.
By the way, I love H-III. :yes:

My Black H3 Skull Project - Check It Out - rudymunis - 09-14-2011

Thanks for the comments!
These shots show true color!
[Image: IMG_8321.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8323.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8324.jpg]

My Black H3 Skull Project - Check It Out - crazydog500 - 09-14-2011

Great Work man and i also love the progress pics. Looks killer to me.

My Black H3 Skull Project - Check It Out - msharrow - 09-14-2011

really digging this black skull. very cool and the thread is extremely interesting. good read, thanks for sharing.

mike

My Black H3 Skull Project - Check It Out - richardmalone - 09-14-2011

NICE! I love Halloween III.