I used to live here.

This is the forum to talk about anything other than NIGHTOWL Productions.

(ie: "Look at this site" or "look at my sculpt")

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

stainboy

I used to live here.

Postby stainboy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:53 am

Everyday I visited.

If you posted, you had 2-3 hours before your initial post was on the second page.

I miss the old days here.

Just wanted to post that.

Drifting Turd

Re: I used to live here.

Postby Drifting Turd » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:08 pm

I miss the old days as well.

Traffic has been progressively slowing down with each year, but I think that last forum update killed this place. The one that took the shoutbox away. It also created that thing where posts have to be approved by a moderator prior to appearing on the forum which is a conversation killer. I know before the update, NIGHTOWL was invaded by spammers, but I'll take that over the way this place is now.

Hideous Looking Man

Postby Hideous Looking Man » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:03 pm

Drifting Turd wrote:... I think that last forum update killed this place. The one that took the shoutbox away. It also created that thing where posts have to be approved by a moderator prior to appearing on the forum which is a conversation killer. I know before the update, NIGHTOWL was invaded by spammers, but I'll take that over the way this place is now.

Agreed. The already dwindling participation around here just came to a screeching halt with that last forum makeover. And it has to be largely attributable to that, as the My3rs and HMA forums, while nowhere near overflowing with activity of years past, are definitely not completely quiet, either. So the whole "social media" takeover isn't necessarily to blame outright. Plenty of people (like myself) are still too stubborn to use that crap. I loathe stuff like Facebook and Twitter, and Tumblr is pretty much for nothing but lunatic teenage girls posting stupid gifs all day long.

I'm not nearly the veteran member either of you guys are, but I began lurking on here in late '08 and joined about a year later. I've always really enjoyed coming here. Sure, there were some drama-magnet jackasses spouting off now and then, but that's life. Most of the folks on here have always been incredibly nice, knowledgeable without being an elitist douche, and fun to talk to/with. It's a shame this place is just dead now. I really hate it. :(

Homicidal#9
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Homicidal#9 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:53 pm

I am sorry that the board has ended up this way. Decisions were made, at the time, with the overall goal of making the board better. It just didn't end up working out that way. All we can do is keep trying to keep the board alive. For myself personally, I haven't bought a mask/bust, etc....in probably 3 years. This is due to the crazy prices that have continued to skyrocket, and because of a 2 plus year wait on a bust and hands set that was supposed to take 4 months......If you check out some of the member profiles, you can see that most people no longer even visit the board.....

take care,
Tommy

Drifting Turd

Postby Drifting Turd » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:06 pm

Any chance we could get Creamedgeezer (Jeff) to come back and peform a new make-over? I don't have the foggiest clue on whether or not there's cost involved - other than Jeff's time I guess. Maybe to return the forum to the previous format or at least a more user friendly one where post don't have to be approved?

And yes, definitely pricey masks Tommy. Many from the old days were $150ish and decent turnarounds. It can be an expensive hobby. I've been looking at a number of masks/busts that are in the $350 - $500 range.

Drifting Turd

Postby Drifting Turd » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:11 pm

Hideous Looking Man wrote:
Drifting Turd wrote:... I think that last forum update killed this place. The one that took the shoutbox away. It also created that thing where posts have to be approved by a moderator prior to appearing on the forum which is a conversation killer. I know before the update, NIGHTOWL was invaded by spammers, but I'll take that over the way this place is now.

Agreed. The already dwindling participation around here just came to a screeching halt with that last forum makeover. And it has to be largely attributable to that, as the My3rs and HMA forums, while nowhere near overflowing with activity of years past, are definitely not completely quiet, either. So the whole "social media" takeover isn't necessarily to blame outright. Plenty of people (like myself) are still too stubborn to use that crap. I loathe stuff like Facebook and Twitter, and Tumblr is pretty much for nothing but lunatic teenage girls posting stupid gifs all day long.

I'm not nearly the veteran member either of you guys are, but I began lurking on here in late '08 and joined about a year later. I've always really enjoyed coming here. Sure, there were some drama-magnet jackasses spouting off now and then, but that's life. Most of the folks on here have always been incredibly nice, knowledgeable without being an elitist douche, and fun to talk to/with. It's a shame this place is just dead now. I really hate it. :(

Great point - even though Facebook and other social media is where it's at nowadays, there are still thriving forums out there. Sideshowfreaks, MM.net, etc.

Hideous Looking Man

Postby Hideous Looking Man » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:56 pm

Homicidal#9 wrote:I am sorry that the board has ended up this way. Decisions were made, at the time, with the overall goal of making the board better. It just didn't end up working out that way. All we can do is keep trying to keep the board alive.......If you check out some of the member profiles, you can see that most people no longer even visit the board.....

Yeah, I think those of us still hanging around understand man. The spam thing got out of control for sure. But, like DT said, what ultimately ended up happening was a makeover that helped minimize the spammers messing the place up all the time, but it sacrificed a lot of features and freedoms that people were used to. The Shoutbox, as mentioned, is definitely missed. It seemed to attract a lot of "water cooler" chit chat which was good to just keep the pulse up around here. I myself really miss the stuff like personal collection galleries. I actually really enjoyed that perk after donating to help keep the site up and running. I think a lot of the bigger collectors in the hobby that were here did as well. But suddenly, all that just went 'poof' overnight and we lost it all. I'm sure that caused some people additional frustration and disappointment after the already big adjustment of having all posts outside of Off Topic needing to be approved before going live. And let's face it, the spammers are still popping in here with ghost accounts and littering junk in new threads, while also posting crap in relevant ones. It's the one thing they can still get away with and they try. I may not post often these days, but I still pop on here at least once a day and see if anything is going on. So I see the spam pop up and eventually disappear.

I guess my point is the whole reasoning behind what happened to the board seemingly meant nothing at all, in a sense lol. The spammers still pop in occasionally, but the damage done by the attempts to fight them appears to have been much, much worse. They still target places like the HMA even now. I guess David Lady has a better way of policing them though, but I can't honestly say for sure. I just know I've seen some stuff go down there a few times and subsequently get cleaned up. Not recently mind you, but definitely since what happened around here.

Drifting Turd wrote:Any chance we could get Creamedgeezer (Jeff) to come back and peform a new make-over? I don't have the foggiest clue on whether or not there's cost involved - other than Jeff's time I guess. Maybe to return the forum to the previous format or at least a more user friendly one where post don't have to be approved?

I think this is a great idea. Anything that can kind of put things back the way they were in early-mid 2012 would be immeasurably helpful to bringing this place back to life. Just my opinion. Like DT, I have no clue what such an endeavor would require overall. My HTML coding knowledge and skills are admittedly pretty antiquated. But if it's cost that's the true challenge, maybe those of us willing to chip in and help out could make that less of a mountain to climb.

Drifting Turd wrote:Great point - even though Facebook and other social media is where it's at nowadays, there are still thriving forums out there. Sideshowfreaks, MM.net, etc.

Yeah, definitely. I mean, I get that some people love that social media stuff, but message boards still have their charms and usefulness to communities like this. The activity still present at the HMA and MM.net only support this observation. I think things would/could still be about as active here now as they were back in most of 2012 before the board was revamped if that hadn't happened the way that it did. But again, that's just my opinion. Who knows.

Homicidal#9 wrote:For myself personally, I haven't bought a mask/bust, etc....in probably 3 years. This is due to the crazy prices that have continued to skyrocket, and because of a 2 plus year wait on a bust and hands set that was supposed to take 4 months......

Drifting Turd wrote:And yes, definitely pricey masks Tommy. Many from the old days were $150ish and decent turnarounds. It can be an expensive hobby. I've been looking at a number of masks/busts that are in the $350 - $500 range.

I've slowed down tremendously myself, partly by necessity and mostly by choice. There's always a way to flip stuff and chase a new score. It's just lately, as mentioned, the norm range for stuff is just ridiculous. It's like you won't see anything worth a darn on average for less than half a grand now. And resin seems to be taking off and becoming the new fad. Some of us still love our stinky, smelly old latex, ya know? LOL

And like many hobbies that get more and more expensive for numerous reasons, it's begun to feel like you only have the ability to hang with the progressions and latest goings on if your pockets are infinitely deep. Which, let's face it, not many people's are in this current economic climate. I firmly believe a lot of people who still drop money on stuff left and right at this point in time are likely spending money they don't even actually have lol. That's one thing I refuse to do. It's not worth digging a hole over this stuff that you'll never be able to climb out of. Nothing is, IMO. I'm just not one to forcibly live beyond my means. And it's too easy on top of all that to just buy stuff you see because it "looks cool" or simply because it exists. I slowed down as well because I wanted scores to start feeling special again. For the purchases to MEAN something to me, on a level that made me feel the price spent, whatever it may be, is justified. But again, that's just me.

I also personally got the wind knocked out of my sails after last Fall when I got screwed on 2 big purchases. One was a resin bust that arrived damaged after poor shipping that was rushed and half-assed because the party responsible was lazy and lied about the shipping turnaround time, not to mention a rushed paint job that didn't measure up upon close inspection - the other was a piece of latex that was infested with cigarette smoke. Close to $800 later, I decided I needed to slow down and weigh things much more carefully from then on, not just from a buying standpoint in general, but in also making sure the people I deal with are 110% on the level. It really sucks to get bit by simply trying to give people the benefit of the doubt. Lesson learned the hard way, I guess.

Chainsaw

Postby Chainsaw » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:15 am

D*mn! I haven't seen this much discussion on the forum in about 3 years! Lol

I very much agree that it's sad to see what the forum has become. NIGHTOWL was the first forum I found, first forum I joined and I continue to check in every day. While I wasn't a fan of the previous forum updates in that the majority of posts had to be approved, I can safely say the forum had petered off considerably before then. Let's face it, a forum is only as active as it's members make it. I know my posting had dropped drastically a couple of years ago when I felt the majority of friends I had made here simply stopped coming around, posting or collecting. Back in the day there were others avenues in which many people kept in touch and communicated (video chats, AIM), but that has died off as well.

I've had the opinion for quite some time that one major contributing reason for the decline in participation is the age of a LOT of members at the time when I joined. Many active members were quite young (teens to early 20s) and it's my belief the hobby was just something 'fun to do for a while'. Most people I used to chat with on a regular basis have just moved on, grew up if you will, started families and rearranged priorities to exclude rubber heads on a shelf. Myself, I believe I was 31 when I started collecting. I was more established with my girl, job, financial stability, to the point that I was able to sustain a somewhat steady collecting habit. Really, there are so many factors that it's impossible to pinpoint a cause... just an unfortunate combination of circumstances that lead us to where we are now.

Justin would have to give the okay for another forum change; however, with the major decrease in traffic and his huge involvement with TOTS, it simply may not be worth his time/money investment... only he can answer that.

I'll continue to drop by everyday, but I suppose if we all started posting more frequently, new lurkers/members may be more likely to participate if they see regular discussions taking place.

Ahh... the good ole days! :)

alvanaxe

Postby alvanaxe » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:39 pm

They are missed for sure.....

knightnite05

Postby knightnite05 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:19 pm

Knightnite, standing by.

evildsm

Postby evildsm » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:11 pm

I still stop by from time to time. I wasn't really a big contributor but I loved seeing the "new score" threads that would pop up. Hopefully we can get some of the veterans to come back an start posting. Maybe we should start posting our NO goodies and seeing if we can wake the sleeping dragon. lol

dougie

Postby dougie » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:04 am

I still try to visit once or twice a week, Just not much going on on my end to post since I don't collect masks anymore and moved on to Sideshow products. The biggest issue for not collecting masks is because of the almost $1,000 loss I have had over the years because of thieves. It took the fun and enjoyment out of this hobby. Since arriving here back in late 02 or early 2003(wow time flies by) I really do miss the good days when new scores were posted daily! And I will never forget the smell of fresh latex the first time you open up the box and see the mask you have been waiting months for! I still remember my first order I made with Justin and sending a Money Order Ha! Happy early Friday the 13th Guys!

knewby

Postby knewby » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:18 am

Out of all the forums in the heyday, this was my favorite. Like life I guess we all have gotten older and the economy tanking really killed the biz. I used to be able to buy new pieces but now am limited to a few a year. Not to mention there are literally only a small handful of makers I trust with my hard earned money................Larry

TheGrandAdmiral

Postby TheGrandAdmiral » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:23 pm

I just mentioned this board on a 1/6 scale figure forum because someone was asking about an EE-3 Blaster Rifle I'd bought from member Travsall here. Had some good times here but I haven't collected masks/busts in quite some time. I guess the closest thing I've bought to this type of collecting is the 1:1 T-800 Combat Veteran Endoskeleton from Sideshow about a week ago. I'm just really into the 1/6 Scale figures these days which completely take up the bank account. It's nice to come back and see you all though.

vez
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby vez » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:30 am

Wow, it's nice to see you guys are still kicking about this board. I know I personally haven't posted or contributed much over the past few years, but I still check in a couple times a week. I'd love to see this forum buzzing again!

Return to “Off Topic”